Monday, July 31, 2006

The Most Beautiful Fraud In The World.*

Bloomin 'eck!! It's been a while since I posted on here.

Oh busyness abounds at the moment, between work and my housemate's birthday celebrations over the last few days, I have become exceedingly confuzzled. I keep thinking it is Tuesday.

I am still trying to recover from Friday nights frivolities, which may or may not have included me drinking a litre of Jack Daniels and my housemate falling on his arse on the front lawn. I'll bet the neighbours loved us on Saturday morning.

Given my current inability to move from the comfort of the sofa I have been catching up with my essential viewing (Including Rock Star Supernova- but more on that later)

In honour of my movie watching ways I thought I would tell you my top 25 reasons to get excited and get your bums into your local cinema over the next year.




  1. Pirates of The Caribbean II is out now. Not quite as good as the first, but still fantastic popcorn movie fun.

  2. Superman Returns: Wow! Very, very good. Not a film for the kiddies though.

  3. Snakes On A Plane (August 18th) : The title says it all really. If you haven't heard about this film then where the hell have you been for the last year muthaf**kers!?

  4. Monster House. (Aug 11th) : The Goonies for a whole new generation.

  5. Pan's Labyrinth (Oct 15th) : Ooh it looks good (scary) but good!

  6. The Last Kiss (Oct 20th) Zach Braff returns to the big screen.

  7. The Departed (Nov 10th) Scorsese does gangster again.

  8. The Prestige (Nov 10th) Director Christopher Nolan (Batman Begins) brings to life a book by the author of Memento about two battling 19th Century stage magicians. Starring Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Micheal Caine and Scarlett Johansson. Am I looking forward to this? Damn skippy I am.

  9. Tenacious D The Movie (Nov 17th) : I can't wait to see what they've done.

  10. Clerks 2 (Nov) : If it's half as good as Clerks I'll be a happy bunny.

  11. Eragon (Dec) : Fantasy about a boy and a dragon. Loved the book, hope the film is as good. Sickeningly the book was written by a 15 year old. Bah!

  12. The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D: This doesn't need much of an explanation does it?

  13. Night at The Museum (Jan '07): High hopes for this one. Cast: Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Robin Williams, Dick Van Dyke and Ricky Gervais. Plot: Stiller gets a night shift job at the local museum. All is well until the exhibits start coming to life after dark.

  14. Hot Fuzz ('07) : Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright return.

  15. Rocky VI ('07) : It's the eye of the tiger, it's the thrill of the fight, rising up to the challenge of your rivals!

  16. The Number 23 ('07) : Jim Carrey does serious again.

  17. Ghost Rider ('07) : Another comic book adap, looks promising.

  18. Stardust ('07) : Magic, fairytales and Robert De Niro.

  19. Shrek The Third (Summer '07) : More Shrek.

  20. Transformers (Summer '07) : My favourite childhood cartoon characters (well, tied with Thundercats) get another big screen outing. Whether it will compete with the original Transformers: The Movie is debatable. "Soundwave inferior, Optimus Prime superior" Sob! That line gets me every time. Poor crappy Soundwave.

  21. Ratatouille (Summer '07) : Pixar returns and Brad Bird is back on board, Hoorah!!

  22. Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix ( Summer '07) : Ok, so I hated the last one. It was my favourite book and they butchered it and created a steaming pile of cinematic crap. Will I be boycotting the 5th film? Hell no.

  23. Spiderman 3 (Summer '07) : Oh I love the Spiderman films! This time he's facing Venom, Sandman, Green Goblin II and another unnamed mystery villain. Oh and yet another Bruce Campbell cameo to look forward to.

  24. Pirates of The Caribbean III (Summer '07) : More Captain Jack Sparrow to buckle our swashes. Steady ladies, steady.

  25. The Simpsons (summer '07) : Finally Homer, Bart, Marge, Lisa et al, foray onto the big screen. Dear god I hope it lives up to expectations.

* Jean-Luc Godard on cinema.

6 comments:

Billy said...

Good God that's a lot of recommendations. I really ought to go to the cinema more often.

When drinking the Jack Daniels were you striking the mandatory rawk poses?

Melissa said...

You've put all the films I wanted to see in a handy list :-D Now I just need someone to go to work for me and I'm set up!

Superman Returns was really good, I was very surprised.

Fraudulent Little Tart said...

What a list . . . have to say that I really don't agree with your comments on GOF but each to their own. Can't wait to see Order of the Phoenix though . . . bring on Dumbledore's Army.

Only one film missing from your little list . . . Rabbit Fever - can't wait!

Heather said...

Stacie, Nightmare before christmas is one of my favourite films. I can't wait to see what they've done with it. As for Hot Fuzz, j'adore Simon Pegg - I was in love with his character Tim in Spaced from episode 1. Haven't seen the video blogs yet though.

Billy, well recommendation is a tad too strong a word, I've only seen 3 of the films on the list so far, but the rest are definitely worth getting excited about.

Also there may have been a little rawk posing going on. Dear god I drank too much!

Badgery one, ah yes, finding time is tough but the releases for these are all spread out over the next year so you should manage it. I have one of those nifty cineworld cards, £10 a month for unlimited movie access. It tends to act as an incentive for me to go as often as possible.

Penny, my dear Penny...

GOF was awful, how awful? Oh let me list the many, many ways that wonderful book was destroyed by that terrible film. Actually I won't just now, that deserves a post of it's very own. Maybe later in the week.

Rabbit Fever, yes it does star the lovely Julian Rhind-Tutt but erm, it's not on my absolutely must see in the cinema list. I'll wait for the reviews first I think.

Fraudulent Little Tart said...

Oh Heather, I think we shall just have to agree to disagree on this one. GOF was/is my favourite of the series so far. And, I really love the book as well. I was disappointed at the amount they cut from the book, but if they'd included the whole thing, it would've been about 10 hours long.

I think RF's on my list to watch as it just sounds so funny - great subject matter at any rate!

Don't set too much stock in what those pesky reviews say . . . they slated POTC2 don't forget.

Anonymous said...

I'm with FLT on the Harry Potter thing - the last film was far and away the best so far, whatever it did to the book. I shudder to think what will be done to my favourite childhood book "The Little White Horse" which is currently in production (apparently).

As for Rabbit Fever - it could turn out to be a complete dud, but its still a must see. Check out the trailer on youtube and you'll see what I mean.